- 300g Dried Macaroni Pasta (or Penne if you don’t have macaroni)
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp. Cornflour
- 400ml Milk
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- 150g Mature Chedder Cheese
- 3 tbsp. Hard Italian Cheese
- 100g Brocolli cut into small pieces
- 100g Cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 5og Breadcrumbs
- A handful of fresh parsley
- First Make the cheese sauce, take a small non stick frying pan and warm gently over a low heat. Add the butter until melted, spoon the flour into the butter and whisk to ensure your sauce does not go lumpy. You need to cook the flour out for a minute before adding the warm milk. continue to whisk, adding the milk a little at a time.
- Once you have added all the milk, add half of both of the cheeses and continue to stir until all the cheese has melted. Whisk until you have sauce that stays on the back of a spoon when you take it out.
- The sauce should be a little thinner than you would usually have if using for a pouring sauce. Add mustard, salt & pepper and take off the heat.
- Whilst your sauce is cooking boil a pan of water, add salt and cook your pasta. 3 minutes before the pasta is cooked add your chopped up veg, bring back to the boil, cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Don’t over cook the veg, you still want to retain the colour and shape of the veg.
- Once you pasta and veg is cooked, place in an oven proof dish and cover with the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, along with the breadcrumbs, Salt & Pepper and chopped parsley.
- Place in a medium hot oven and cook until the cheese on te top has melted and gone a nice golden colour.
- Serve on its own or with some nice crusty bread.